Learn the cause and how to resolve the ORA-00903 error message in Oracle.
When you encounter an ORA-00903 error, the following error message will appear:
- ORA-00903: invalid table name
You tried to execute a SQL statement that included an invalid table name or the table name does not exist.
The option(s) to resolve this Oracle error are:
Rewrite your SQL to include a valid table name. To be a valid table name the following criteria must be met:
- The table name must begin with a letter.
- The table name can not be longer than 30 characters.
- The table name must be made up of alphanumeric characters or the following special characters: $, _, and #.
- The table name can not be a reserved word.
You could use the ALTER TABLE statement to rename the table in Oracle using the following syntax:
ALTER TABLE table_name RENAME TO new_table_name;
ALTER TABLE customers RENAME TO contacts;
This ALTER TABLE statement will rename the customers table to contacts.